The following describes how to connect to the Internet using a Novatel Wireless 3G modem and an Apple® computer running: Macintosh OS X v10.5.7 or greater.
These drivers are applicable to Mac OS X 10.4.1 and greater, but setup is different. Instructions for Tiger computers are covered in another document.
Before you can connect to service provider with a Novatel Wireless modem, you will need the following:
- An active account with a service provider with activated SIM card
- A Novatel Wireless modem from same service provider (or not Network SIM card locked)
- PC Card Models - U730, U740
- ExpressCard34 Models - XU870, X950D
- USB Model - MC930D, MC935D, MC950D, MC990D, MC996D, MC998D
- MiFi Model - MiFi2352, MiFi2372
- An Apple®: computer with the appropriate device interface (PC Card, ExpressCard34 or USB)
- Configuration information from your service provider, including your username, password, APN, and DNS addresses
Setting Up Your Equipment
- Power on your Apple®::computer.
- Close all open files / applications because you will need to reset your computer to complete installation.
- Download 20418672_Novatel_MacDriverInstaller_v3.0.13-001-PS.zip
- Unzip the file and run the installer package - 3G_Drivers_v3.0.13-PS.pkg
- Installation Steps
- Insert the modem into the computer.
Setting Up the Network Connections
In this section, you will configure the modem network connection settings.
- Make sure the card is completely inserted.
- Select System Preferences from the Apple () menu.
- Click the Network button in the System Preferences window.
- In the Network window,
Select Novatel Wireless Device
- Click OK
and IF does not exist click '+' to add.
- Now create a configuration.
- In the Network window, select Advanced... to configure Modem to connect to network.
Enter APN | OK
Opening an Internet Connection
Click the Phone icon in the Menu Bar and select Connect...
While connecting the status will show in Menu Bar
Open Network Preferences and select Novatel Wireless device, configuration and click Connect.
Surfing the Internet
Once you are connected to the Internet, you can use any Internet application, such as Safari, Firefox, Mail, and iChat, to surf the Internet, check email, and connect using VPN, etc.
Disconnecting From the Internet
To disconnect from the Internet, click the Phone icon in the menu bar and select Disconnect.
You can also disconnect by clicking the Disconnect button in the Internet Connect application as shown above.
Uninstalling the Novatel Wireless Modem Software
To remove Novatel Wireless Modem files from your machine, delete the following files (requires Administrator permissions):
The State of the LED on your modem is a great troubleshooting aid to determine the operating state of your modem. Below are LED State tables for the 9xx, 8xx and 7xx modem families.